Subject: MINI-REV:Blocks&Mat.
From: [email-masked] (Kevin Kodama)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 94 21:47:00 PDT

i just got a CD called Blocks&Materials,
published by KETIV Technologies.

The CD contains objects and bitmaps for 3D rendering.
It has:
over 600 3D blocks
340 bitmaps
65 backgrounds
The objects are provided in DXF,3DS,DWG formats.
The images are in .gif and .tga (targa) formats.

The package includes one CD, one reference manual,
and one very nice graphical index, with wireframe
axonometric views of all the objects, and color views
of the bitmaps. 

The CD is aimed at PC users, esp. 3DS,Autovision,ARE, etc...
in fact, most of the reference manual revolves around using
the objects and materials in these packages. While i
personally found it rather interesting to see how other
packages handle things like mapping etc....most amiga users
will throw this portion away :-)

The objects are mostly aimed towards me :-), that is, an 
architectural market-with columns, sinks, cars, refrigerators,
beds, etc...but others may find some useful stuff. 
The quality varies greatly, from very simple to very complex
(i.e. a 43k poly hitachi mining shovel)

The bitmaps are also architecturally oriented-rugs, people,trees,
stone, etc.. and most are seamless. The quality seems quite 
good-the .tga files are 24 bit and quite large, but very clear.

Lightwave loaded in the 3DS format with no problems-and kept
the surface colors intact-apparently if you own 3DS, the 
objects are completely "materialed", with opacity,bump, and
image maps all ready to go- we LW'ers need to work a bit :-)

I like this disk a lot, and will be using it for my arch.
work-esp. the texture maps. 

email me if you have specific questions, or call KETIV
1-800-458-0690 they fed exed me the disk over night-
oh, the price- the disk will supposedly list for 395$, but
*right now* it is 199$ don't know for how long...

keivn
whoops, kevin that is..